John Mason & Caroline Ellwood, ‘My Ántonia’
A one act musical of approximately 45 minutes duration, ideally suited for secondary/high school performance. The 7 songs, varied and engaging, all have strong chorus elements, aiding transition from whole-class singing to staged production. They encourage part-singing. The 3 instrumental numbers include two dance scenes and an overture. Instrumental parts are available on application. These are mostly easy to play for teen-aged learners who might typically play in a school orchestra. The piano accompaniment score includes some of the most essential instrumental elements, mostly for flute and acoustic guitar. All other instrumental parts are optional.
The musical is an adaptation of US novelist Willa Cather’s lyrical book ‘My Ántonia’. It is about how a community is forged though migrating groups to the Mid-West (specifically the small settlement of Black Hawk, Nebraska) around 1900, their joys and their disappointments. Above all, the play emphasises the importance of mutual support and friendship. Especially through the emerging friendship of Ántonia (just arrived with her parents from Bohemia) with Jim (who, recently orphaned, has come to live with his grandmother) we see how both they and the community respond emotionally and practically to the situation. In our ever-mobile world, this story never loses its relevance. 11 character roles are required, 5 of which require solo singing. Plenty of chorus acting complements their singing role… A thoroughly worthwhile, stimulating performing arts project for young people!
Listen to the overture and excerpts of all the songs and dance numbers. Get a feel for the story and staging. See examples of all the different materials you need to rehearse and perform the musical My Ántonia….
- AMIP 10 Piano Reduction Score @ GBP 16 + p&p
- AMIP 11 Songbooks @ GBP 20 per pack of 10 + p&p
- AMIP 12 Libretto @ GBP 5 + p&p
- AMIP 13 Full score @ GBP 40 + p&p (also available on hire)
- AMIP 14 Instrumental parts – email via the Amphion Music contact page, specifying which/how many parts you require: Flutes 1 & 2; Oboe; Clarinet in Bb; Trumpet/Cornet in Bb; Violin 1; Violin 2; viola; cello; guitar; accordion. All instrumental parts @ GBP 4 + p&p
- AMIP 15 Set of MP3 files to support rehearsal @ GBP 12 + p&p